Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Lowe Experience

I love Galen and Janice and Sierra! I even love Sierra's mom and I don't even know her name! It was so much fun living with them. Galen and Janice remind me so much of my own parents in some ways. For example, Dad and Galen both randomly grab their wives and start dancing with them around their houses. I don't know, maybe this is just normal for most married couples, but it's still funny. Also, Dad and Janice both like their cookies hot hot hot, while Mum and Galen both like them after they've cooled and hardened a little. Even though I've never had a problem living with people, these little similarities made it even easier to live with the Lowes.

Sierra... now she was fun! She would come home from school and have all sorts of assignments to do. I offered to help her on her Pre-Cal homework... not that that particular proposal holds any real hope for the girl, but she accepted and I was able to help her on some things, albeit very, very few. But the best part was talking with her. She would get started on her homework, and I would be in the middle of a chapter, and then we'd suddenly break up everything to start chatting about one irrellavent topic after another. It was lots of fun. To tell you the truth, I didn't know how it would work, living with a girl. I mean, yeah, I have sisters, but I've always had boys around me. My brothers, the Daltons... I've never, ever lived with just a girl. I mean, sure if I moved in with Lisa or someone already knew really well, I wouldn't have worried a bit, but this was a girl I had never been very close to, and hadn't even seen for over 4 years! It was even more uncomfortable for me at first because my first night with them was Sierra's 19th birthday. Can you say, awkward? However, we quickly found one thing in common that started off the friendship - Galen. No one has ever been easier to tease... and that's saying something! After that, it was clear we would get along just fine!

Earlier I mentioned loving Sierra's mum, this is a funny story. So, the phone rang, I picked it up and said hello. A sweet voice on the other end said, "Hi, sweetie! How are you?" At first I was completely confused... was it Mum? It didn't sound like her, but I mean, maybe she had just woken up or something, that's why her voice was so (comparatively) faint.

"Hi," I replied, not knowing what else to do. "I'm fine." She went on to ask me more about how I was doing, when finally it clicked: all though our voices were dramatically different, if you know the person answering the phone isn't Janice and it isn't Galen, it must be Sierra.

"Oh! I'm sorry, were you looking for Sierra?" Pause....
"Who's this?" asked the voice, still nice, but not quite so sure of itself.
"This is Mallory. I'm sorry I thought you were my mom at first."
She immedietly started to laugh. She said she remembered that I was moving in with them, but had forgotten about it. We joked about that for a while and then I passed the phone over to Sierra.

So, overall, The Lowe Experience was a lot of fun! I loved living with them. I wish them and all sides of their family a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: