Friday, February 24, 2006

A Good Day

Okay, so next week will be my 8th week in school. So, it's been an awesome 7 weeks! Here are some stuff I will remember from the first half of my first semester here at BYU-Idaho!

**EVENTS**

"Four" - a jazz quartet. That was awesome. My professor (though mostly blind) is an excellent musician!

The Natelie McMaster concert. That was so much fun! Tom went with me, and I couldn't have had more fun with anyone else (except maybe my dad). She's an awesome fiddler!

The 24-hour film festival. My friends made a video for it. (The themes were first date, dream, or last chance.) It was so good. Tom filmed it; Chris was the main character; Jason, Tom, Chris, and Big Josh were the producers and editors. I think that's everyone. Guess what, THEY WON! I was so proud of them. It was really good. They better make me a copy.

Watching the USA pummel Canada in hockey was fun. It was cold, so I only saw part of it, but there's nothing to keep you warm like chanting "U-S-A" with a ton of other people at 10:30 at night. I didn't have a coat or anything, just my hoodie on, but I was surprised at how long I stood out there and didn't even feel the freeze. There were Canadians there too, but I feel bad for them now. The final score: USA = 5, Canada = 2. Ouch.

The devotionals are excellent. My favorite so far was given by a member of the 1st Quarm of the 70. I can't remember his name, but it was on Joseph's last few months before his martyrdom. I have always had a special place in my heart for the Prophet, but I have never felt more for him than during this devotional.

Schooling Noah at pool.

Schooling Tom at pool.

The Soweto concert last night was amazing! From South Africa, these people are awesome! It was so much fun. Very good performers!

**FRIENDS**

I lucked out in my roommates! They're all really cool. We have a lot of fun together. We've only had one spat in 7 weeks, and it wasn't a big one. Six girls in this small of a space, that's a freaking miracle! There's also my neighbor, Emily, who basically lives here. She's a lot of fun, and completely crazy! Within the first day we all had an inside joke. Two days later, we had 2 more.

I also have some great friends from Biddulph (the guys dorms). Shane, also called PIP, basically lives in my apartment as well. If he could spend then night outside our door he probably would. PIP stands for Pretty in Pink; it was the first color we saw him wearing.

Then there are guys like Blake, who is just full of it, but is a lot of fun. Noah, who you can only explain as quite a character. He is completely insane and knows it. If Noah is around, you are sure to have a good time. Chris is a flirt, but a good guy. He's getting ready to serve his mission in Romania! I am so excited for him! Josh (not the big edition) is so fun, and hillariously funny. Tom, Jason, and Dylon, (aka the Tri-force... don't ask) can be explained in three words: quirky and hillarious. There's Stewart, who is just rediculous, and Mambo (or German) who is always thinking of what other people want, and how to sneak salt onto Chris's deserts. The list goes on and on, and everyone is a lot of fun. They keep you on your toes, I'll tell ya that much!

It's been a blast. Hard at times, and somewhat stressful, but a lot of fun. I am having such a good day today. I SCORED on my biology test! At least I think so, it was mainly on photosynthesis and I was AMAZING! It is so beautiful out. Bright and sunny and just gorgeous! It's like spring. I can feel it coming on. You know, I love cold weather. It's hard to find something more pure and beautiful than sparkling snow, or more peaceful and reverent than softly falling snow in the woods. But it is a very glorious thing when the sun begins to shine again. One of my favorite things is when the sunlight paints everything a golden color. It mainly happens in the afternoons and makes me remember things. Like I should make a bunch of water balloons and just start a war with my brothers and Scooby. Or go climbing up the tree out in front of Colleen's house over the stream we used to catch newts in. Or go play baseball in Stevie Smith's field. Or race around Walls St. and Davis Ln. on our bikes. Or play street hockey outside Lloyd's. Or jump ramps on our blades. Okay, enough reminiscing. But it's fun.

3 comments:

kyledawn said...

mallory, i'm so glad you're having a good time at college! those four years of my life was great and i'm genuinely excited to hear that you are loving them as well (ha! at least your first semester of them!). so, i may be daft, but what did you finally decide to major in?

kyledawn said...

p.s. i love how i just told everyone i'm a college graduate and i use 'was' instead of 'were'. yeah folks, i'm in grad. school too...

Anonymous said...

I'm soon going to change my major from History to English Lit. Which actually makes the "was" even funnier somehow.