Sunday, May 01, 2005

A Sabbath Thought

Abraham Lincoln is probably my favorite president. Well, I dunno, I really like President Washington too; but that is irrelevant. The point is, I love President Lincoln. (And I plan to follow the example of my Aunt Rinda and name one of my sons after him. What a fabulous thing: to be named for someone so great.)

This is one quote that I've had for quite a while, but have not read for a while. I was looking over my quotes today, and decided that it would be ideal for Sabbath Day ponderings.

“Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.” - Abraham Lincoln; Cooper Institute Address
(February 27,1860)

It is a pretty simple quote, but then again, he had an uncanny way of putting deep ideas simply. (That's a good thing for me!) I probably have more quotes from President Lincoln than from anybody else. It's kind of odd though, that I should have quotes for the Sabbath from Abraham Lincoln, and most of my quotes of Patriotism are from Gordon B. Hinckley. Ha! Both great men. Both very much alike!

2 comments:

Vasu Chetty said...

I love quotes, I was trying to make a quote book for my mission. My personal favourites come from George Bernard Shaw.

"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." ~ George Bernard Shaw

"You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" ~George Bernard Shaw

"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essense of inhumanity." ~George Bernard Shaw

There's some more to add to your collection. Oh, by the way, I'm Vasu. I have some crazy Saipanian friends here at BYUH.

a man from Saipan said...

That is pretty cool. I really do respect Abraham Lincoln. He is a great man to follow before us.

So many wonderful people in this world. So many wonderful words, quotes, and literature. Life is good.