Tuesday, April 12, 2005

SMUT

I hate being sick. I hate headaches. I hate stuffy noses. I hate sore throats.

Okay, well, now that that's all cleared up, guess what! I placed 5th in the National Thespian Society Regionals. I participated in Solo Musical Theater (SMUT). I sang "Ain't There Anyone Here For Love" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. (I love that movie.) I wont be going to Nationals though. They only send the first and second place participants to Nationals.

This is actually the lowest I've ever placed in a SMUT competition. I have always come in first or second. But it's better this way anyways. If I had won, I would have been torn between going to work in Maine for the summer, or going to Nebraska to compete; I hate having to make difficult decision.

Also, I didn't really deserve it anyway. It was kind of a whim. I didn't think I had enough points to compete in Regionals. (I've really never taken it seriously enough. You know, going to every meet and stuff like that.) I didn't find out that I did until the day before the competition. The winner should really be somebody that has worked for it all year; and for some people, for four years! So like I said, it's for the best.

I think I did fairly well for memorizing the song, making the needed modifications (I was singing it a capella, so I had to tweak it) and coming up with appropriate motions just that day. I didn't really prepare in advance (which adds to not really deserving it). I'm kind of one of those "If it's not due 'til Thursday, way not wait until Wednesday to prepare?!" kind of people. But let's not tell my teachers that!

No comments: